How Good is Your Dog Food?
There are several ways to find out the quality of your dog food. Rest assured that we only sell high quality pet food, 4 and 5 star ratings, by well known and respected manufacturers. We take into consideration when selecting the brands that we sell in our store the following factors: ingredients, how the companies source their ingredients (humane and sustainable practices), where the companies source their ingredients (no food from China or other countries that are not well regulated), ethics and integrity of the companies, who are the parent companies, lawsuits and other factors that may affect our own personal rating.
- The easiest way is to find your food in this chart. You will see the 4 and 5 star brands that we carry, highlighted in YELLOW. (Source: dogfoodadvisor.com)
- If you want to narrow the list down, here is the list with the top 25 brands and their best 133 formulas. Also highlighted in BLUE are the ones we currently carry. (Source: reviews.com/dog-food)
- Go to dogfoodadvisor.com to get a comprehensive report and analysis of your dog food and why is it getting that particular rating.
- Another method is to look at the ingredients on the product and compare these to the qualities mentioned below.
Quick overview of ingredients
image source: www.reviews.com/dog-food/
- Organic meat sources
- Vegetables (NOT corn or other grains)
- Hormone-free and antibiotic-free animal sources
- Flax seed oil (not just the seeds)
- Oats or oatmeal
- Sunflower Oil
- Specific animal protein source(s)
- Glucosamine, Chondroitin
Very bad qualities
- Any listing of byproducts
- Any non-specific animal source (meat, poultry, meal or fat)
- BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin
- Every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source
- Same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer's rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain)
- Protein sources that are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients.
- Any artificial colorants
- Ground corn or whole grain corn
Generally not good
- Corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients
- Any animal fat other than fish oil
- Lamb as the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources)
- Soy or soybeans
- Wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to wheat)
- Beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to beef)
Time to switch?
Check out our wide selection of quality dog food! If you are not sure where to start, simply contact us with the specific needs of your dog or cat and we will be happy to give you our recommendations. We will even send you free samples if available!
Brands that we won't carry
Products owned by Proctor & Gamble:
Natura, Innova, Evo, Kumpi, California Natural, Healthwise. Mother Nature, Eukanuba & Iams, Halo, Spot’s Stew
Products owned by Colgate-Palmolive:
Science Diet, Hill’s, Ideal Balance, Nature’s Best, Prescription Diets
Products owned by Mars:
Nutro, Natural Choice, Nutro Max, Nutro Ultra, Greenies
Cesar, Pedigree, Whiskas, Temptations, Crave, Sheba, Excel
Royal Canin, Sensible Choice, Waltham
The Goodlife Recipe
Products owned by Nestle:
Purina and sub-brands: – (Prescription Veterinary Diets, Alpo, ProPlan, ONE, Fancy Feast, Dog Chow, Cat Chow, Beneful, Friskies, Purina, Mighty Dog, DeliCat, HiPro, Kit’n’ Kaboodle, Tender Vittles)
Products owned by Delmonte- Heinz:
Kibbles n’Bits, Natural Balance, 9 Lives, Nature’s Recipe, Meow Mix, Milkbone, Milo’s Kitchen, Puperoni, Gravy Train, Snausages, Canine Carryouts, Pounce, Wagwells, Cycle, Skippy